[et_pb_section bb_built=”1″][et_pb_row][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.0.92″ background_layout=”light”]
Several of you have asked for the best snacks or meals to have before doing your planks this week. Great question and the answer is really the same for any workout that includes both cardio and resistance training. Here are some of my favorites…
1. 100% whole grain toast with sliced banana and cinnamon
The key here is combining starchy carbs with simple ones that release energy slow and steady throughout your routine. Whole grain toast with fruit gives you both types of carbs with the bonus of being super easy to digest and an extra kick of energy. For an added bonus, add a dash of cinnamon to help stabilize your blood sugar!
2. Greek yogurt and trail mix: Greek yogurt is easy on your stomach and when paired with trail mix can give you the little rev your body needs. Just make sure to choose a mix that is mostly nuts, seeds, and dried fruit with as little chocolate candies as possible. The healthy sugars from dried fruit provide that quick energy boost while seeds and nuts will keep insulin levels from dropping mid-workout.
3. Smoothies: need a snack on-the-go? Blend up a smoothie before you head out. Not only are they quick and easy to make, they’re jam-packed with nutrients. Try using sliced fruit, a cup of Greek yogurt, ice, and some oats for a thicker consistency. Consider adding chia or flax seeds for extra fiber and heart-healthy omega-3’s!
4. Oatmeal with fresh fruit and protein powder: oatmeal sticks with you throughout your workout by gradually releasing sugar into your bloodstream, which keeps you energized. And the fruit replenishes glycogen to your muscles, while the protein helps with muscle recovery and slows the digestion of carbs – keeping you full longer.
5. Sliced apples with almond butter: apples are loaded with antioxidant vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They’re also high in water content to keep you hydrated. The peanut butter offers both healthy fat and protein to slow digestion, stabilize blood sugar and keep you full and energized longer. I hope you found these 5 pre-plank-workout snacks/meals helpful. They’ll definitely help you maximize your workout and get the best possible results.